Thiopental Sodium is a thiobarbiturate, the sulphur analog of Pentobarbital. The drug is yellowish, hygroscopic powder, stabilized with Sodium Carbonate as buffer.
Thiopental Sodium is chemically designed sodium 5-ethyl-5-(1-methyl 1butyl)-2-thiobarbiturate.
THIOJEXTM is indicated:
- as the sole anesthetic agent for brief (15 minute) surgical procedures
- for the induction of anesthesia prior to the administration of other anesthetic agents
- for the control of convulsive states
- to supplement regional anesthesia or low potency agents such as nitrous oxide, and
- as an aid in diagnosis and treatment of a variety of psychiatic disorders.
Thiopental sodium for injection is contraindicated in patients with severe respiratory embarrassment, hypersensitivity to barbiturates status asthmatics, variegate or acute intermittent porphyria, and inflammatory conditions of the mouth, jaw, and neck and in the absence of suitable veins for intravenous administration.
Thiopental sodium for injection is also relatively contraindicated in severe cardiovascular disease, hypo-tension or shock, and conditions in which the hypnotic effect may be prolonged or potentiated, i.e excessive premedication, Addison's disease, hepatic or renal dysfunction, myxedema, increased blood urea, severe anemia and myasthenia gravis.
This product may be habit forming.
KEEP RESUSCITATIVE AND ENDOTRACHEAL INTUBATION EQUIPMENT AND OXYGEN READILY AVAILABLE. MAINTAIN PATENCY OF THE AIRWAY AT ALL TIMES.
Each vial contains:
Thiopental Sodium USP 500 mg/1.0g
Contains Sodium Carbonate (Anhydrous) as buffer.